History offers us sound advice on simple and inexpensive ways to grow and preserve quality foods that NOURISH LIFE. Traditional fermented foods have been used for centuries by cultures all over the world to enhance flavor, preserve food, optimize health and even reverse disease. Asian cultures ate pickled fermentations of eggplant, cabbage, cucumbers, squash, carrots, turnips and onions. Bulgarians are known for their consumption of kefir and fermented milk. During the Roman era, historical documents record that sauerkraut was consumed for its health benefits. Fermented foods are bursting with natural probiotics. Let’s explore these healthy bacteria and the cultured nourishment that they provide.
Adding traditionally fermented foods to your day adds joy to life by:
- Supporting healthy immunity: It is estimated that about 80 percent of immunityoriginates in the intestinal system. Healthy bacteria keep this system running smoothly. A robust immune system is absolutely essential for disease defense.
- Potent detoxification: Fermented foods are good natural chelators. This means that they “grab” or “bind” toxins such as heavy metals in the body and remove them.
- Increased emotional health: Serotonin, a key brain neurotransmitter, is produced largely in the gut. This hormone helps regulate mood and sleep among other things. Research has shown that gut microbes impact brain health and even the “unconscious system affecting behavior.”
- Outstanding nutrient potential: Fermented foods are superb sources of essential nutrients. For example, cheese curd is a good source of both probiotics as well as Vitamin K2, which helps prevent arterial plaque buildup which clogs blood vessels. These cultured products are also producers of many B Vitamins.
- Saving you money: Adding fermented foods, even in small amounts, will give you a wider variety of beneficial bacteria than you can typically get from a supplement.
Epigenetics is one of the most exciting areas of study in our world of research. A healthy gut with a broad range of beneficial bacteria has been shown to influence the positive expression of hundreds of genes. This cutting-edge field of medicine is showing how simple lifestyle strategies can have positive, disease fighting power.
Natural fermentation of food has been shown to preserve nutrients and break food down into a more digestible form. It creates a wide array of beneficial probiotics. START SOMEWHERE today trying these time-honored traditional foods. NOURISH LIFE by giving your body what it needs to thrive. You can do it. I will help you!
0 views0 comments