We hear much about the incredible health-promoting, cancer-fighting properties of raw Broccoli and Cauliflower due to their powerful antioxidant content. But, it’s often difficult to actually ingest these cruciferous wonders on a daily basis. A great way to harness the benefits is to grow your own Broccoli or Cauliflower Sprouts at home and hopefully after today you will be inspired to try. Small quantities of fresh Broccoli or Cauliflower Sproutscontain as much protection as large amounts of the mature vegetable. Many other foods such as nuts, beans, grains, and seeds can also be sprouted with ease and the benefits are incredible. I started this post just thinking only of Broccoli Sprouts but decided to include other options. Sprouts are the ultimate locally grown food and an inexpensive superfood!
Glucoraphanin is a key phytonutrient within Broccoli. When consumed, it converts to sulforaphane, an inducer of the body’s natural detoxification systems. Researchers at Johns Hopkins reported that just 5 grams/.17 ounces of Broccoli Sprouts contain concentrations of glucoraphanin equal to that found in 150 grams/5.2 ounces of mature Broccoli. Their research has shown that three-day old sprouts of both Cauliflower and Broccoli can contain from 10 to 100 times the levels of glucoraphanin of the mature plants of either. Here are just a few reasons to START SOMEWHERE learning about, growing and eating more sprouts:
- Sprouts may contain up to 100 times the enzymes of raw fruits or vegetables. Enzymes are the keys that unlock the vitamins, minerals, amino acids and essential fatty acids from food.
- The quality of the protein and the fiber content of food improves when sprouted. This includes beans, nuts, seeds, and grains.
- During sprouting, minerals such as calcium and magnesium bind to protein and become more bioavailable.
- High quality protein can result from sprouting. Pea and Sunflower Sprouts each provide a stunning array of tasty nutrients to NOURISH LIFE.
- Depending on the sprout type, the content of vitamins and essential fatty acids increases as much as 30 times the original value with only a few days.
Sprouts are the ultimate locally grown food and are a great value. This inexpensive superfood can be grown in your own kitchen and you can know exactly what you are eating. Start with something easy and build from there. This post was quite eye-opening for me and I’ll be bringing you more information on this exciting option for home-grown food. NOURISH LIFE by giving your body more of what it was designed to thrive on. You can do it. I will help you.